At Heringtons we pride ourselves on offering a clear pricing structure for the high level of service we provide. We ensure there are no hidden charges. Not all firms offer the same level of service and this is reflected in the fees charged. Heringtons do not charge fixed fees so you will only pay for the time spent on your matter.
We estimate that a (re)mortgage will cost between £750 and £950 plus VAT. Where your (re)mortgage will fall within this range depends on the requirements of the lender you have chosen, the amount of the loan and the type of property involved. Every mortgage is different so we’ll let you know if the estimate needs to be reviewed.
If the time spent on your transaction at completion is less than that estimated at the outset, we will charge you less; we may have to charge you more but this is unusual and we’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we can. The amount you pay is calculated using the following hourly rates:
|Senior Licensed Conveyancer||£200|
|Chartered Legal Executive||£180|
In addition to the figures shown above there will be further time spent in appropriate transactions at the estimated cost shown:
To repay each mortgage £75 + VAT (£90)
We will also charge the following for each bank transfer made during your transaction:
- Transfer by BACs (takes 4 days) £25 + VAT each (£30)
- Transfer by CHAPs (same day) £40 + VAT each (£48)
The work on your sale will be handled by a named specialist property lawyer helped by trained admin staff. Your lawyer can call on a wide range of expertise across Heringtons to support you in any unusual situations that may arise.
We reserve the right to review the estimate and on the rare occasions there are unexpected complexities or the transaction becomes protracted, we will discuss this with you and provide an updated estimate. Ultimately if the time spent on your transaction at completion amounts to less than that estimated, we will charge you less.
Disbursements are costs paid to others, such as the Land Registry. We ask for a payment in advance so that we can easily handle these disbursements to ensure your move proceeds as smoothly as possible. Usual payments include
£350 upwards (varies as to Local Authority) payable where your lender requires searches to be undertaken
|Search insurance||£100-£400 (varies depending on lender)|
|Land Registry Official Copies||£3 per entry/plan/document obtained|
|Land Registry searches||£3 per title searched|
|Bankruptcy searches||£2 per name searched|
|HM Land Registration Fee||£20-£40|
In a (re)mortgage transaction, our estimates allow for the following steps:
- Taking your instructions and giving initial advice;
- Reviewing title documentation and providing advice to you and your lender;
- Carrying out searches and reviewing the same on behalf of your lender;
- Applying for further planning or building regulation documents, where required by your lender (please note there may be additional fees charge by the Local Authority);
- Checking the terms of any Lease where relevant;
- Reviewing and advising as to any indemnity policy required by your lender;
- Confirming the conditions of any mortgage;
- Obtaining any Consent to Mortgage;
- Dealing with special conditions imposed within a mortgage offer;
- Confirming title to your lender and requesting any mortgage advance;
- Redemption of any existing mortgage;
- Arranging the transfer of funds to you;
- Putting any indemnity insurance policy at risk;
- Applying for registration of the charge at the Land Registry;
- Sending your lender the registration title documents where so required;
- Sending you the registration title documents;
- Reasonable liaison with you, any lender and third parties throughout; and
- Retaining and storing deeds on request
On rare occasions there are unexpected complexities or things take more time than expected. Examples include dealing with unregistered land; drafting any lease extension or deed of variation and obtaining any lender’s consent to the same as part of the (re)mortgage and any simultaneous transfer of equity. We will discuss with you as soon as possible any issues that are likely to mean an increase in our fees and we will provide an updated estimate.